Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Being a woman..

Another women's day passed by, throwing at me a variety of emotions.

I saw pretty posts in pink in facebook celebrating womanhood. I saw deals for women all over the place.  We women even got treats from our friends in office. :)  I was happy.

I wished all the important women in my life. But at the same time my mind was questioning me on what I was wishing them for. For being a woman? I was perplexed.

A gruesome incident of a 3 year old girl's rape also came up that day. I was horrified.

I was asking myself a very basic question. What is the status of a woman in this day and time? On one hand I see women growing everywhere. They are highly educated, financially independent, socially powerful. But at the same time they are as vulnerable as always to physical and mental humiliation by the male dominated world. Every minute that a lady lives here, she has to protect herself from being a victim to some crazy man passing by who may be in the 'mood' to get his hands on her. So pathetic!

Okay, leave the crazy guys. We'll talk about the gentlemen around. How many of the educated nice men we know really believe that their wives are their 'equal' counterparts in life. Isn't there a belief somewhere that their wives maybe pretty, smart and also earning well; but still they should be under their 'control'. I have noticed that women also mostly enjoy being under someone's control. Is this nature's design? Is it destined that women are better off in a man's shade than fighting for herself out there in this dirty world? Maybe it is!



I have realized over time that there is no point fighting against men for the liberation of women. It does not make sense in the bigger picture of things. Let the women live the way they want to. If she finds bliss at her husband's feet, then so be it. But ONLY if she wishes to. My wish on women's day is that all the women out there should get their share of 'respect' from everyone in this world. That I think is the most important thing that a woman can ask for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good one anila.
"husbands Will provide and women Will look after the husband and clean the house"
"women are married off to men's house. So there is no need for the man to call up her parents or relatives"
... Are a couple of the many dialogues a very educated but totally useless "man" told me recently ... - ranji