Monday, August 20, 2007

Whats in a birthday?

This is what I asked myself on my birthday this year.

Birthdays used to be sooo exciting years ago. Hey, I never used to sleep the previous night! There was no blowing of candles, no cutting of cakes. There were no balloons or ribbons in the house and nobody was invited for a party. There were not even flowers or gifts! But still there was more that enough reason for excitement.. new dress, chocolates and greeting cards! :)

A week before my birthday, I used to calculate and re-calculate how many chocolates I needed. Strength of the class + atleast 5 chocs each for my best buddies + principal + all teachers + few friends from other divisions + bus mates + bus driver + cleaner + relatives + neighbours + .. The list went on. My mom would somehow convince me on cutting short the list. The next discussion was on which chocolate to buy. After all the arguments, the chocolates would arrive. I would get them all out of the packet.. on to the floor. And then the counting began! I would get them into separate boxes.. One for bus.. One for class.. One for teachers.. Phew.. And go to sleep late at night to end up not sleeping at all!

But I wouldn't be a bit tired the next day. Would trot around proudly with my new dress. I would smile at all the blue-n-white uniforms around. I was the star of the day! Would sit in class, full of excitement, and when the teacher walked in, would go to her with this box. And then the whole class got up and sang 'Happy Birthday To you....' Oh, how wonderful it felt.

But whatever I say, I did feel special even on this birthday with all the wishes from my loved ones. Thanks a lot for them. You made my day! Free Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org

7 comments:

From The Corner said...

hi there.. just passing through found ur blog randomly, read this post. Did u go to school in the middle east? This reminds me of my bdays in school.. it was the perfect description, i was like omg wow this person was in my class? haha.. i used to get mackintosh's those round boxes...and ofcourse the one time in the yr u'd get to dress out of uniform *sigh* i miss those days, although my bdays are still fun!!! u always have to have cake & friends!!!! ... Anyway happy belated bday to you :)

~ Anil Reddy ~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~ Anil Reddy ~ said...

thts such a luvly post anila... reminds me of my childhood memories... gone r those wonderful days... [:)] happy blogging!!!

Dragonfly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dragonfly said...

We used to be the star of the day, right?? I remember me having many friends that day, just because I have many tofees to spare.. ;) Happy belated birthday wishes to you dear..

Anila said...

From the corner, Thanks for the wishes!

Anil, Thankyou.. :) But a small correction.. A for Anila.. :p

Manu!!! Thanks dear.. And Happy blogging! :)

~ Anil Reddy ~ said...

try something new anila... dnt be a copy cat... ;-)