Saturday, September 1, 2007

Destiny or Accident?

I have always thought a lot about life; its meaning.. its purpose.. Even as a child, I used to do that. Maybe because I grew up hearing Dad tell about life, 'karma', different 'janma's' and so on. A lot of them made sense to me, a lot of them did not. There were heated debates on God between my Dad and my cousins, long discussions about these with my sister. And all this got me thinking.

And there is one question I ask myself many times.. Is life destined to be or is it just an accident?

It surely feels better to think of life as a destiny. To think that I had to be born to my parents.. that I had to grow up the way I did.. that everything I do is already destined. Of course, that does not mean that I do not try to do anything from my side. I try.. try hard for the best.. but understand that only that will happen, that what is destined.

On the other side, its inspiring to say that I make my own destiny. Its true that a vision, determination and hard work can achieve almost anything.. But isn't there an element of uncertainty everywhere in life? Can I even claim a single thing about future with 100% surety? I am afraid not. I cannot even say that I'll publish this post, because at the end, I am not sure of my life the next moment. So, that says that life is not in my hands.

I just watched Forrest Gump. And liked it a lot. That got me into writing all this. And as he finally says, I guess life is a mixture of both.. destiny and accidents, miracles and coincidences, luck and hard work. Ain't it?

8 comments:

Veena said...

Hmm.. True..

Icarus said...

No.

Forrest was a gump. If there's destiny, then how could accidents happen? If you tell me that the accident was destined, then why call it an accident?

I know both the meaning as well as the purpose of life: the meaning is undefined, and the purpose is zero. It doesn't matter what you do, what you don't do, and whether you live or die. So the only thing you should do, for your own comfort, is make money and live lavishly. There's also no such thing as morality, as long as you stay away from things that kill you, or constrain you in some way.

Correcting Forrest, life is just a mixture of luck and work - things that happen to you by chance, and things that you cause to happen.

If you get inspired by movies, I suggest watching the Back to the Future trilogy - it's thrice as entertaining as Forrest Gump, and deals with things like destiny, as the protagonists travel back and forth in time, changing their future in the process.

Anila said...

Jayanth,

Hmm.. But I would like to rephrase the line, 'So the only thing you should do, for your own comfort, is make money and live lavishly' as 'So the only thing you should do, is whatever gives you happiness'. It maybe making money and living lavishly for you.. it maybe penancing in the woods for someone else.

I'll definitely watch Back to the Future trilogy.

Icarus said...

Yes, I should have said 'happiness'.

But if someone actually renounces everything for a life of hardship, I would consider him a masochist, and a loser in life who understands neither the meaning nor the purpose of his existence. Luckily, such people are very rare in today's materialistic world. For me, as for my brothers in the seven deadly sins, hedonism is the way to salvation! :-p

Krishna Menon said...

As lives are different, So are the philosophies on life.

Call it the Irony or the beauty of Life,
We may start with a philosophy, but usually don’t end up with the same.

Lives change, philosophies change;
So live your philosophy, enjoy your life!!

Anirudh said...

Forrest Gump is one of my favourite movies. Makes you really appreciate life and want to Live it. nice blog :) got here from http://eyethink.blogspot.com/

Anila said...

Krishna, You got it right there!

Anila said...

Anirudh, Thankyou. Keep visiting..