Thursday, November 8, 2007

Can I speak?? ..asks Bangalore

I am Bangalore - The garden city. Now more popularly known as the Silicon Valley of India.

Its been a long time since I wanted to speak my mind out. Better late than never.

I love people. People from everywhere.
Everyday I heard them cry from different parts of the country. They wanted to come to me. Cries from the capital - Delhi, the commercial hub - Mumbai, the pearl city - Hyderabad, Metros - Chennai & Kolkata, from God's own country - Kerala. Cries from everywhere. I sometimes wondered what made them like me so much. Is it because I give them a salubrious climate throughout the year? Or because there is greenery flourishing all around me.. Maybe its the colonial ambiance.. Or maybe simply because I make their life; because I make them feel at home.

Whatever be the reason, I welcomed them. All of them.

There were new job opportunities created. Every piece of land was converted into houses. It was getting crowded. My heart bled when all the trees where cut down. But I held on.. for they wanted a place to live.

I still hear those cries. There are more people who want to be here.
Now there are tall apartments all over me. Every house has two or three cars. The smoke from the vehicles is turning me black. Its choking me. But I hope they are happy.

What am I hearing now? Why are my people cursing me?? Crowded? Polluted?? Is it really you who is saying this? You know, I was never like this.. You know, who did it all!

More people coming in. I see that they fight a lot for me.. take transfers, quit jobs and finally land here. Then they start their complaints. They crib about traffic. But then I see them adding their own vehicle into it. I see them having fun. They get paid well. They live in peace without people prying into their lives. I see that everybody has friends here! But still they whine all the time.

I am fed up guys! There is a limit to patience, isn't there? And I don't have anything more to offer you. If you feel that every other place is a heaven, please don't trouble yourself here. But as you leave, I ask a favour from all of you. Please spread the word that Bangalore has changed. Its congested, polluted, corrupted and whatever you want to add.

But there are somethings that has still not changed in me. I can still be the home to anyone who wants one. I can still make your life, if you want me to. I still love you!
Nimma Swantha, Bengaluru

************************************************************
I don't know what Bangalore actually wants to tell. But this definitely is what I want to tell. :)
************************************************************

21 comments:

Ajay said...

Ain't it a coincidence that Bangalore, you and me think alike. :-)

Veena said...

I wanted to write something in similar lines after the post in dragonflys page... Now that u have done it.. Good work..

Bangalore Rocks...

Icarus said...

I totally agree! Bangalore is definitely better than Darfur!

Anila said...

Ette, :)

Veena, Thankyou. You should also write what you feel..

Jayanth, I have heard: 'When the judgement is weak,the prejudice is strong'.

Icarus said...

Hate is not the sole outcome of prejudice.

Dragonfly said...

I am Bangalore, I like more and more kids so that the dog which live with me have some food too. We should be kind to animals.

I like to greet new people with some thefts, so that they will be careful next time.

I have many 'skilled' autodrivers and a pathetic public transportation system who force other people to buy their own vehicles who eventually curse me for having heavy traffic.

Dragonfly said...

One more thing I wud like to point, A city doestnt mean just the land, but the people living there too.. [especially the natives]

Here is a blog from one of our mutual friend about Bangalore
http://memuarai.blogspot.com/2007/05/bangalore.html

Veena said...

Dragonfly..

Sad that u r passing a judgment without actually spending a quality time in Bangalore..

I dont understand why u r blaming the natives..

"IT" would have put Bangalore on the world map, but it definitely has made life of natives difficult. They had to combat the cost of living, pollution and n other things.

Please note that Bangalore is what it is because of the localites. Bangalore houses you, clothes you, and feeds you, and it houses the concern where you earn your daily bread. If the localites seem hostile to you now, it is because of built up frustrations over a long period, resulting from the hostile and superior attitude that most of you might have displayed.

Then... please compare the same with Kerala of which u r a native off....

Minu said...

http://memuarai.blogspot.com/2007/11/do-we-really-lovehate-bangalore.html

:D

Junius said...

hmmm...i agree :D!!

Gopa Kumar said...

Must agree .... This was an elegant piece from you :)

Arun said...

The very thought of the pain bangalore might be facing.... feels so bad.

Dragonfly said...

Where is your new blog? ;)

Heuristic Ideas ( Baxxam) said...

Great POST
and u got a Great Template

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hey


great forum lots of lovely people just what i need


hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Anonymous said...

I truly loved this brilliant article. Please continue this awesome work. Regards, Duyq.