Thursday, July 12, 2007

I am sure all of you know this..

What is the difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain, and England?

But the fact is that I did not!
Yes, I am quite ignorant when it comes to general knowledge, I agree.

After coming here, I heard people using all these three names and I decided to find out the difference. When I searched and found this I am sure that many people are using it the wrong way, too. This is what I found.

The United Kingdom is a country that consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In fact, the official name of the country is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."
Great Britain is the name of the island northwest of France and east of Ireland that consists of three somewhat autonomous regions: England, Wales and Scotland.
Therefore, England is part of Great Britain, which is part of the United Kingdom. The U.K. includes England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are not countries but the United Kingdom is. The remaining portion of the island of Ireland (that which is not the U.K.'s Northern Ireland) is an independent country called the
Republic of Ireland (Eire).

Courtesy: http://www.about.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... and northern ireland was trying to gain independence similar (but not really similar) to how the tamils in sri lanka - the difference being that the tamils in sri lanka are currently under sri lankan rule whereas the irish in northern ireland are currently under u.k., right?

- s.b.