Monday, July 9, 2007

Learning on the way..

Recently, I realised(rather, someone made me realise) that 'travelling' is the 'best way to learning'. I am the kind of person who gets into a train or bus and starts snoring the next minute. Missing my destination, getting down two stops away and travelling back is also a very ordinary experience for me. :)

This Friday, things were different. The train in which I had to travel was so crowded that I couldn't find a seat. Finally I settled down on the floor in a place which was actually meant for wheelchair. So, till that space was not claimed by a wheelchair, I was safe. This arrangement was so uncomfortable that as hard as I tried, I couldn't sleep. And of course, I had no access to a window. To add to my woe, I neither had a book to read nor did my walkman phone have enough charge in it to let me listen to some music. So, there I was, left with the only option of looking at the people around for the 150 minutes journey ahead of me.

Interestingly, that place turned out to be the most happening place in the train. Right before me was the exit and also the loo. So anybody in that coach who wanted to get out or relieve themselves had to pass by me. Every minute I had a new face before me, a new person to explore.
Being a Friday evening, it was all the more amusing. I found many groggy men and women unsteadily finding their way to the loo. They bounced into each other every now and then. I could imagine them sitting at their seats, emptying one beer can after another. I observed everything, how they dressed, what all they ate, how they talked over phone, what kind of books they read.. I also realised that people from different countries were not necessarily very different. As I got down the train that day, I didn't mind having a back-ache. I felt enriched rather than weary..

I felt happy. I swore that I would not sleep in another journey.. I would keep my eyes open, my mind open.. As somebody said, a hopeful heart and an open mind are the best travelling companions.

2 comments:

Ajay said...

You were doing the right thing... you get onto any vehicle which you are not driving or are not the navigator, you gotta sleep. :-)

Anila said...

What is this ette? I may not always have the option to get down at my brother's house, if I miss my stop. So, don't encourage me to sleep.. ;)